General Teaching Council Northern Ireland

 
Sign-up to E-News


Catholic teachers press Ruane

04-03-2008

e
04/03/2008 :: Northern Ireland :: The Irish News

Three months to the day since the minister signalled the end of the transfer test, the Irish National Teachers Organisation (INTO) has appealed for more detail.

Ms Ruane announced on December 4 that the 11-plus would be scrapped this year, with pupils themselves to make important choices about post-primary paths at age 14.

Since then, she has faced calls to further clarify her proposals.

At its northern conference, the INTO demanded an urgent statement from the minister "outlining a clearly defined structured means of transfer" from primary to secondary education.

Northern secretary Frank Bunting said the last three months had been "filled with hysteria", adding that he could see no educational reason that would delay the release of further information.

An announcement on 'area-based planning' of schools is due soon.

"We are hoping that the minister will bring forward with area-based planning the concrete outworking of her vision," Mr Bunting said.

"I believe that it would be helpful to teachers, parents and pupils for the outworking to become manifest."

 

Back

© Copyright 2006 i3 Digital