General Teaching Council Northern Ireland

Sign-up to E-News

I am leaving the profession/taking a sabbatical - do I need to register?

If you are leaving the profession or taking a break from teaching, please keep us informed. The Education (NI) Order 1998 (amended) NI 0rder 2003, section 35 (3) states that; "An employing authority shall not employ a person as a teacher unless he is registered under this Article".

If a teacher is in a contract of employment (whether paid or unpaid), or has taught during the registration year (even if only for 1 day) they must pay their registration fee. This applies to teachers on a career break, maternity or sick leave.


© Copyright 2006 i3 Digital